Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm Home!

Hello from Minnesota! I wanted to post a quick note to let you all know that I arrived safely back at home again. Team Cameroon 2008 was able to catch the regular flight from Paris to Seattle with no troubles and actually empty seats around us, and then I had two additional flights to get all the way home, but landed last night just before midnight.

My parents were waiting for me at the bottom of the escalator to baggage claim, and it turns out they had a surprise waiting for me.... Brent! I had so badly wanted to see him, but didn't think it would work until Thanksgiving weekend when he'll be here with my family. Little did I know that he's been planning for weeks that he'd take today off and be able to greet me off the plane and spend the day with me today. What a thoughtful guy!

So, I was going to post this a little earlier today, but... well... I'm sure you understand! :) I needed to tell him stories and show him pictures first. Now I'll spend the evening showing my family the pictures and telling stories, and I'm sure there's some laundry that needs to get done. There's a bit of African sand on everything in my suitcase!

I'll leave you with these two pictures, and the promise to post a bunch more. I have hundreds of photos (not the thousands like some thought I might!) to sort through, and can't wait to share them with you.

The kids were amazing, and my favorite part of the trip. They would run to our vehicles in any neighborhood we entered and especially loved having their pictures taken. I just love their faces!

Here's my one shot of our whole group. I can't wait until we all share our pictures and I can get a few more. This was taken just before leaving Africa, and is at the Welcome Center in N'Djamena, Chad.

Don't worry, there's lots more to come! I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment, trying to think of how to process all that happened, and then figure out ways to tell you about it, but I'm looking forward to that as well.

THANK YOU so much for your prayers!! There's no way we all could've gone without them, and there were definite times I knew people were praying for us right then. THANK YOU to Brent for being such a great shadow-blogger for me while I was gone, and for handling all sorts of details I'm sure I don't even fully understand yet. WELCOME to the new readers we've picked up because of this trip -I'm so glad you've joined in on the fun! I'm excited to have you stick around!

10 comments:

Stacy said...

Hey Kari,
I'm so glad I get to be the first to leave a comment on this post! More importantly I am so glad you are home safely and had a once in a lifetime experience in Africa. I am sure the work you did for the Lord will have long lasting effects and will have changed many lives. I am also so excited Brent was there waiting for you when you got home. I must say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pic with you and all of the kids. But I bet you already knew those pics would touch my hearts. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip. Get some good sleep!
Stacy

Jim and Marilyn said...

Welcome home! We are so glad that you made it and now are anxious to hear some stories and see some pics! We have been much in our thoughts and prayers the past two weeks. (Now we can't wait to hear all the interesting details...did you see lots of things that you remembered?)

Ekelund Fam said...

Welcome home! I am so jealous of the wonderful opportunity you got, BUT super excited to hear about it. I can't wait to see the Flude pics and hear about your amazing time. I am so glad Brent was able to meet you at your plane. How cool! Miss you girl!

doug&margarethe said...

Was great to see you come down the escalator last evening and then the surprise on your face when you turned around while talking on the phone to see that Brent was only a few feet away from you! Fun to be in on the surprise! Yes, you're tired and need sleep but it is fun to hear your stories and see the pictures of you trip. Brings so many memories to mind! Glad to have you safely home.

The Erickson Family said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to read all about the trip! Rest up and enjoy the time with your family and Brent! Blessings!

Jeff and Missi, T, Jake, Samuel and Dan said...

Glad you are all home safely. I was praying for the group throughout the trip. I am looking forward to hearing more about the trip!

Candis Berge said...

Welcome home. I was looking for an "official" "I'm home" post!

I love the picture of you and the children. totally love it.

I liked your surprise at the airport too!

Henrik and Carrie said...

Welcome home!! We love the picture of the kids - what beautiful faces!

Our little girl decided to wait until you were back in the States to make her arrival... she's still waiting and SO AM I!!!!

Love you, Kari!

Leingang Family said...

So glad you are home! The picture with you and all the kids is so precious. I can't wait to hear all about your trip. How nice to have such a welcome wagon when you returned!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back.. Can I just say I love the picture of you surrounded by all the kids... Adorable!!! Oh how I miss you!