Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Nice Lodge

Hello from Bryce Canyon, Utah, where I'm happy to report that I'm staying in a nice, normal hotel room right outside the park! No bugs! When I called around for a room for tonight, they were filling up quickly. So, this one cost a little more than I usually like to pay, but considering how little I had to pay to share a room with cockroaches last night, the two-night average is right at my "okay" price!

Thanks for all your concern for my well-being! I did survive the night okay, but I'll admit (shhhh.....) that even though I DID turn off the TV, I DIDN'T turn off the light. I'm so glad I had an eye-mask along -veyr helpful when you have to sleep during the day, or in a light-filled room!

Today was a great day. I was able to enjoy God's wonderful creation at both Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. I have some wonderful pictures, but because my last three nights consisted of 4-4-5 hours of sleep, I'm only going to share a couple with you tonight and the rest will have to wait until later. Maybe I'll do a whole post on Utah National Parks after I visit Arches tomorrow...

I was Zion National Park first, and rode the shuttle up and down the canyon, getting out in a few spots to walk around. One was a "hike", the others were "walks"! Here's The Court of Patriarchs -Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
This is The Weeping Wall. I'm standing under the overhang, and you can see the water that just drips off of it. A common site around Zion.
I arrived at Bryce Canyon just 30 minutes before sunset, so I got to a couple lookouts quick, but I'll go back again in the morning. I had NO idea it would be this incredible! I've been to the Grand Canyon lots, and while that's bigger, I have to say I might like this even better! It's just to interesting-looking!
There's no way that pictures do it justice, but there are all these rock formations they call "Hoodoo" that stick up out of the canyon. Very cool!

Tomorrow's more of a driving day, except for a few stops at Bryce Canyon before I leave, and then a trip to Arches National Park. I feel like I'm not getting that far east yet, but these are the main things I wanted to do on my trip, and I don't have a specific goal for getting home -either Wednesday or Thursday. Should be quite do-able!

7 comments:

Jim and Marilyn said...

That was a great "teaser!" We look forward to seeing more of your beautiful pics in the days to come. Travel safely...

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like a great trip so far despite unwanted roomates the first nights stay!! The Utah Parks are absolutely fascinating and beautiful. Did you know you are at 8ooo ft. elevation in many of the observation points in Bryce Canyon? Your next purchase for your car should be an altimeter that gives you elevations as you drive across country. You'll be amazed at the different elevations. Looking forward to seeing your pics in the future.
Love, June

doug&margarethe said...

Glad you stayed at a good motel. Hope you slept better too! Love the photos. Those rock formations are incredible..makes me want to visit those parks some day! Looking forward to more photos. Have a great day! Be safe! Will be great to have you home soon!

Candis Berge said...

Good to read your post and know you survived the night and are safe and sound! I love the pictures - aren't those hoodoo's amazing?

M and B said...

Zion is my favorite Nat'l Park. That place is amazing.

Krista Koljonen said...

Yay, Kari in Zion NP! Next time you must hike to Angel's Landing or even Observation Point (if you're up to elevated hikes with a tremendous view). Plus, I could recommend a few canyons but those get technical and you might need equipment and a few guides (namely, Jed and Krista).

Leingang Family said...

I think that Bryce Canyon is one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. Glad you had a nice stay.

Have a great trip!