Friday, August 29, 2008

Reagan Library

A few weeks ago I was able to do one of the main things that I had on my list to do while I lived in California! I've really wanted to go to the Reagan Presidential Library and Museum, located in Simi Valley, about an hour and a half north of Long Beach. The Friday before Brian and Ronda came to town, I was able to meet Becky at the Library, and we enjoyed a fun time wandering around, learning a little more about Reagan's whole life (not just his presidency), seeing all sorts of great things, and just hanging out together. The library included all sorts of "stuff", photographs, gifts from people, documents, memorabilia, and also had the actual Air Force One and Marine One from his presidency. I took a variety of pictures, so here's a few to give you a taste of what we saw.

Similar to a car used on the campaign road. Pretty different from the jets they fly around in these days!

A replica of the booth where Ronny proposed to Nancy. (When I was a kid and our family went to Washington DC, I remember someone asking if we saw "Ronny and Nancy". They said it in such a way that I thought they were talking about some old family friend, and then realized they meant the President and his wife! -- We DID see them, but only through the fence as there was a big ceremony on the lawn welcoming a foreign president. French maybe? Mom, can you help?)
I don't remember the exact reason why this was in the museum,
but I thought the sign on it was pretty funny! Especially in light of the gas prices I've been paying here in California!
A variety of campaign buttons. Are these even used anymore?
A replica of the situation room when he was president. It's a lot smaller than what I got used to from watching "The West Wing"!
It was really amazing to walk into a room and see a full-sized plane there. And the fact that it's Air Force One was incredible! This is the actual Air Force One that was in use before the current one. Our current president has even flown in it -I guess it's last flight before it retired to the museum. You also see some of the cars from his motorcade.

On one wall behind the plane were huge US and USSR flags, with Checkpoint Charlie in between. Since the Cold War was in full force during his presidency, it was pretty powerful to see.
I took this picture for a little buddy, T, who loves flags! These are all the flags of the many countries that President Reagan visited during his presidency. Very cool! Fun sidenote: when I got home, I looked at some blogs and found that T became a big brother almost exactly as I was taking this picture for him!
Checkpoint Charlie
Becky and I posed to show you our patriotism, and to show how REALLY big this flag was!
Marine One
I guess the hangar that hosts Air Force One and Marine One can be used for banquets, etc, and in fact Becky's brother has been to a military ball right where we were standing. The pictures I've seen from that totally transform the room!
I remember learning from President Reagan's funeral in 2004 that he and Nancy chose this site/location for the library so that people could look out over the valley. Here's the view!
Walking back into the main library, we found a hallway where Becky was able to meet up with the President and talk about a few issues.
Here's an exact replica of the Oval Office on the day that President Reagan left office.
(I'm a HUGE fan of the TV show "The West Wing" -not that I agree with their views of different topics, in fact I'm often on the opposite side -but I love how much the characters want to do the right thing, and I love the quick wit and humor that's written into the dialogue. Anyway, it's really fun to almost feel like I was right there sitting in on a meeting!)
The room includes a replica of the "Resolute Desk" which has been used by many presidents, and currently sits in President Bush's Oval Office. If you haven't seen "National Treasure: Book of Secrets", go rent it and learn a little more about the desk!

I remember the day that President Reagan wrote a letter to the country telling us about his diagnosis of Alzheimer's. It impressed me that this man I already respected was able to end his public life with dignity, grace, and integrity.
(if you click on the picture, I think you'll be able to read the letter)
In the "memorabilia" section is a bat signed by the 1987 World Series Champs, the Minnesota Twins. Very cool! (it's the middle bat in the picture) How much do you think it's worth??

An actual section of the Berlin Wall. I think everyone's heard the famous speech President Reagan gave when he said "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Interesting sign around the gardens! :)
President Reagan's burial site. I vividly remember watching his State Funeral, and seeing Nancy leaning over the coffin at the end of a long week of goodbye's, clutching the flag that had just been presented to her.

An outside shot of the Library and Museum. If you ever have the chance to visit, DO IT! Visit ANY of the president libraries -it's a great history lesson and really memorable!
Becky and I had a lot of fun together that day, and I'm so thankful we've been able to spend time together this summer! Now I just wish I was going to be around to watch this belly grow even more! :) Since she's about the thinnest person I know, there isn't much room for this little one to grow inside her -it'll end up being a big basketball sticking out!
We decided to head to Malibu to eat dinner, and see if we could see anyone famous. Also, I hadn't been there before and wanted to check it out. Well, we didn't see anyone famous, but did see some pretty amazing (read: LARGE!) homes!! And, we ate a pretty incredible dinner at a wonderful Greek Restaurant! As I left to head back home, I drove along Pacific Coast Highway a while. It turns out it's only 10+ miles down the road to the Santa Monica pier -which seems to have become my stomping grounds around here.
It was a beautiful drive, and there was a great sunset, but I was a little too early for the best part. I saw it while I was already on the 405 freeway, but since Brian and Ronda were arriving that night, I didn't want to be late in getting home.
Thanks for the really fun day, Becky!! I'm so glad you were able to join me -it was way more fun seeing everything with someone else vs. if I had been alone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great tour of the Reagan Library. We sure enjoyed it when we saw it in 2005. But the valley was very green and beautiful then. It's green and beautiful in Western Washington right now!! I'm so glad you got to see the Library.
Love, June B.

Jim and Marilyn said...

A great post about the library. We went in February also when the valley was beautifully green and lush. So, when you go back, (in the spring...) see if you can be there long enough for the sunset over the green mountains. I've heard that it's awesome!