Monday, September 3, 2007

State Fair

Yeah for the Great Minnesota Get Together!!! As many of you know, I LOVE the State Fair. My favorite day of the summer is the day I get to go there, and this year, well... it couldn't be beat! I got to go FIVE days! WOW!! Living in Fergus, it just wasn't possible to get there more often, but being here in the Cities changed all that! My parents and I were able to spend the day there a week ago, and we hit all sorts of great spots. I really enjoy the Creative Arts building with all the quilts, woodworking projects, and other homemade stuff; the Education Building with all the amazing projects that kids of all ages have submitted; and the animal barns with all the hard work that goes into caring for each individual animal.




Then there's the food! The Minnesota State Fair is known for having everything on a stick. Well, Pork-Chops-on-a-Stick has always been a favorite of mine, but this year I decided to branch out a little more. I've been watching WCCO news down here, and each night they've highlighted different foods they found that day. I'm happy to report that the Belgian Waffle-on-a-Stick is just as good as they said. I tried the Spaghetti-and-Meatballs-on-a-Stick, and while it was interesting and tasted okay, I'm not sure I'll have it again. Then it was great to hit the old standards like Sweet Martha's Chocolate Chip cookies, along with All-You-Can-Drink-Milk from the milk stand. And don't forget about Cheese Curds. Mmmmm...... !! Washing all that down with Fresh Squeezed Lemonade is a great idea!



Here's a picture from a week ago, on Saturday, when it was REALLY busy. If you click on the picture so it gets bigger, you can see how packed it is! I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for one day in the summer, I think it's super fun! I feel bonded with all other Minnesotans on days like this!

Then, Monday a week ago, my cousin Krista was in town from Montana and I got to go to the Fair again to meet up with her and her husband. We had a great time together! She sent me this picture of the two of us (it was a windy day!):

In the picture, you can see me trying my new favorite fair food, Salted-Nut-Roll-on-a-Stick, dipped in chocolate! A WCCO newscaster talked SO much about that particular item (he had 8-9 a day!!) that I decided I wanted to try it. Well, the one I had was excellent, and it'll be on my must-have list every year!


Krista also sent this picture of when I got to meet Kent Hrbek! He was on the 1987 World Series team for the Minnesota Twins! He was signing autographs on a teddy bear you could buy with the proceeds going to cancer research. I decided that David needed one, and I also really also wanted to meet Kent Hrbek!



When I brought the bear home to David, and remembered how ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING is going directly into his mouth these days, we decided that this can sit on his shelf for a while until he gets older and I can tell him about the '87 Twins. It'll mean more to him later on, right?



Then, this last weekend I had a new fair experience. I got to work there! I know the people that own the huge stand on Judson Ave by the horse barn and cattle barn, and got to work for them on Saturday, Sunday, and today. My parents stopped by on Saturday and got this picture of me selling hotdogs/corndogs.

After I had worked concessions for an entire summer when I was 18, I wasn't sure I would do it again! But, many of my friends have worked the State Fair and I've always wanted to do it sometime. It's never been possible until now, and this was actually the perfect year! I really had a lot of fun! I know if I had been selling hotdogs all summer long I might not say that, but hanging out with friends for three days at the MN State Fair really can't be beat! So not only did I get to attend the Fair more than any other year, I saw a different side to it as well! Only 351 days until next year's fair! See you there!

7 comments:

Krista Koljonen said...

Kari, the shot of David reaching for the signed Teddy Bear was great! It really conveyed the motion of his reach. I loved it!

Brooke said...

Now I really feel like I wanted to go! Maybe next year! I'm sure Jeff loved working with you - after all you used to have lunch together a few years ago! Thanks for the great highlights!

Anonymous said...

I took our friends two children to our county fair last week on kids free entrance day. We had a blast. I love to see the displays and the animals, too. We watched a little circus also. I like corn-on-the-cob stick, too!!! I think the Puyallup fair will be still going when you get here. It's considered a West Wash. Regional fair. See you soon, June

Anonymous said...

tytKari - So glad I got to hang out with you there - thanks again for the great help - HP

CJ Olson said...

Oh man!! I'm so jealous that you got to go to the state fair! Looks like fun! I miss the BIG E (kind of like the MN state fair but on a smaller scale) Glad that you got to work at the fair and I love the picture of you and David! I definitely think that David will appreciate the bear when he is older!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari and thanks for the update on your lively activities. Your writings are suberb. Good to see Krista again, photo was cute. Loved the expressions on David's and Julie's faces. I am so excited to meet little DD. Have a great trip. Will be praying for you. Love, Penny

Leingang Family said...

What fun! Our state fair is coming up soon in Puyallup. (I think it will be over by the time you get here) Maybe we should think about going again this year.