Saturday, September 29, 2007

Good Samaritan Hospital

I have now had two shifts at work, both as orientation. They have gone well, and it seems like a good fit for a job. In fact, the patients have had the same diagnoses as my patients in Fergus would, except that ortho patients are on a different floor. I have had mostly peds patients so far, with a few adult abdominal surgeries mixed in. They do their charting a little different, but I've already caught on and should feel used to it soon. I've had the chance to meet quite a few other travelers, so it's been fun to have that connection with them and to hear different stories/tips/etc. Doing 12-hour shifts hasn't been bad so far, but on the days I work, I can see that's the only thing I'll do. There just isn't time to plan anything else! I have been exploring just a little around Puyallup, but am anxious to get out and see other things. This week has mostly been about getting set-up at home, and then needing to work.

Speaking of exploring, I think the end of this coming week I'm going to take off for western Washington. I'll actually have about 6 days off in a row, so I've been trying to think of what to do. Anyone have any good tips of things to see? At this point, I'm just going to get in my car and drive, and stay where ever I am when it's nighttime, and do whatever I want during the day.

I was thinking about heading west towards the coast, and maybe driving north to the NW point on the peninsula, around Olympic National Park, back towards Port Angeles. Maybe Victoria? Maybe take some ferries back towards the San Juan Islands? Or maybe coming back along the east side of the peninsula along Puget Sound?

I work the night of the 4th so have to sleep some on the 5th. I could leave late afternoon and then need to be back to work on the 11th (with a nap before my shift!).

Any suggestions of things to see or places to stay? I didn't bring a tent and it's also a little cold for me to think about camping, so CHEAP hotels is what I'm thinking. Anyone want to join me? It was hard to think about doing this kind of fun stuff alone, but I also am not going to let that stop me. I'll still head out alone, but if there's someone out there that wants to join me or even meet up somewhere, that sure would be great!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your apt looks great all set up. The furniture doesn't look too bad either!! The Black Angus has always been great restaurants. For your mini trip to the Olympic Peninsula, I'd suggest you head to either Olympia or Aberdeen the first night. Scott E. often goes surfing out at Westport. Ocean Shores is popular too. It's just a looonngg sandbar out there, but lots of places to stay. I don't know about the prices though. Then when you decide to head north, be sure to stop in at Quinault and the lodge there, and also at Kalaloch. Those are part of the Olympic National Park. Then you have to go to the Hoh Rainforest and at least take a walk in there for a bit. It's beautiful in its own way (the wettest place in the 48 States) It's a beautiful coast, but amazingly kind of remote. There's quite a few places to see out there that we haven't been to yet. Maybe you'll be able to get to Neah Bay too. As you head east again on the North side, Lake Crescent is beautiful and Hurricane Ridge has a fantastic view looking over to Victoria if it's clear weather. Annalise "Bergsagel" Thomas lives near Sequim (which is in the "rainshadow")so she'd probably enjoy showing you around. There's lots of places to stay in Port Angeles and Port Townsend. There's lots of possiblities coming back down to Tacoma and on to your home. I'm sorry, but it looks like the rains have started, so hope this doesn't damp your adventure. It would be the real Western Wash that you'd experience, especially on the coast!! Talk to you soon, June

timmyjimi said...

I'm jealous. I'd love to explore that part of the state. About the only suggestion I have is the one I mentioned to you on the phone - you might swing through Pulsbo for some Scandinavian scenery. Let us know how the trip goes.

doug&margarethe said...

Wish I could drive that area with you! I have never been in that area but would like to see it. Seems to me there is a place on that route where you can go whale watching or to go on a boat to do that...ask June or Erick. Victoria has some nice Bed and Breakfast plus shops with "Spode' china plus a beautiful park to see many lovely rose gardens plus other flower gardens (The name slips my mind now..again ask June!). Have a great drive! Will be anxious to see your photos from that drive!
love, Mom

Leingang Family said...

Yes, you should go out to the Olympic Penninsula. It is beautiful there. The cabin we stayed in at Forks is wonderful! It is close to the rainforest, too. It might be a nice place to spend a night. The website is www.solduccabinfever.com

The Women's Retreat is this weekend in Seabeck. It is on Hood Canal near Bremerton. If you got a chance, we'd love to see you there. We have free time on Saturday afternoon from 1-5.

Glad work is going well. Hope to see you soon.

Ross & Beth said...

I have solved your delema. Just come to Bremerton on the PNW womens retreat with us. I is always a total blast. Is there an LB church near you?

Anonymous said...

The gardens your mother is thinking of, in Victoria, are called Butchart Gardens- they are fabulous. Enjoy your trip.
Marlane (sister of Candis)

Leingang Family said...

I just got the call that you are coming this weekend! Yeah! Looking forward to seeing you there. Bring a raincoat. :o)