Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tragedy in Minneapolis



This is a picture I found on wcco.com of the 35W bridge in central Minneapolis, where you no doubt have heard of the catastrophe that happened there tonight. At 6:05pm the 35W bridge going over the Mississippi River collapsed, killing and injuring many people. Out of respect for the families involved, I can't bear to post a picture of the awful ordeal, so instead found a picture of what the area used to look like. This is a main bridge through downtown Minneapolis.

Our family feels very fortunate tonight that my Dad was spared as he travels that road each day to and from work. Based on some cell phone calls he made, and knowing his location when he made them, we know that he was on the bridge at 5:45pm, just 20 minutes prior to its collapse. Praise the Lord for his safe keeping!

Please pray for all the families of the victims, and for the survivors, as they endure these next days and months. Let's also pray for the rescue workers, and the investigation team, that they'll be able to complete their jobs with clear minds.

4 comments:

Candis Berge said...

Oh Kari! Your dad crossed that bridge at 5:45? Wow. I had to call John & Sara immediately to be sure they were both safe (they were.) This is just a horrible tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord that your Dad is safe! I didn't even know about the event until your mom sent out an email this morning.

Jed and I might be in MN around August 24th-26th for a wedding. I should get your phone number, so we can call you if we head to Minneapolis. Would be fun to see you.

Krista

Leingang Family said...

We are praying for you in Minneapolis. Thank goodness your dad is ok. We have a few people in our congregation with family there that we are also thankful are safe.

Ekelund Fam said...

Praise the Lord that your dad was spared! It was such a gut wrenching tragedy. I am glad you weren't on the bridge either.

When I think of all the times we have driven over it on our weekend vacations, I shudder, but am thankful I know Christ.

We are keeping the families in prayer!