Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Goodnight from Nebraska

Goodnight from Kearney, Nebraska, home of the University of Nebraska -Kearney, and also the Museum of Nebraska Art. I have to admit, though, I'm not sure I'll see either one. At this point, I just can't wait to get home!

Today started out in Grand Junction, Colorado and I was able to enjoy a beautiful drive through the Colorado Rockies. I didn't get any pictures, though, since there were some sharp curves, lots of cars, and a little road construction thrown in to make in interesting!

I arrived in Denver, where I was able to finally meet my recruiter! She's a wonderful woman that I talk with on a regular basis -sometimes a couple times a day even! Since she's become a friend as well, I really wanted to meet her face to face and was so happy we could do that today over her lunch break. It would've been fun to see some of my other friends in Colorado as well, but I knew I needed to get back on the road.

I headed out of Denver north on I-76 and met up with I-80. It only took about 45 minutes into my drive when I thought "Okay, now I'm bored!" I've been playing the license plate game all trip so far (not very successfully, though - summer must be over), I've listened to many of my favorite playlists on my iPod, and I called a bunch of friends who were mostly not home. I knew I had a long night in front of me...

But, I was able to talk with a few people (THANKS for keeping me awake!) and I got back into the audiobook "Black". I'm still not all the way sure what I think, but I've gotten to the point where I want to see it through. It's getting interesting.

I was also able to watch a beautiful sunset in my side mirrors! I ended up getting out to fill my car up with gas and saw this tree that seemed like it would have a nice sillouette. It turns out the picture doesn't nearly do it justice -the sky was much better in person. So, just imagine it with more brilliant colors -every shade of the rainbow going all up and down the sky.

I thought I might get as far as Grand Island tonight, but I realized:
1) It's another 50+ miles down the road
2) The actual city is about 10 miles off the interstate
3) The road construction on this portion of the interstate has those grooves that steers your car and I was currently surrounded by semi-trucks and its dark outside
4) I'm tired and want to sleep!

So, I'll get up in the morning and head out for the last 546 miles of this trip. I've LOVED getting to see all the great stuff I've seen, but today I realized how much longer that's made the trip. I wouldn't change it, but boy am I excited to get home and see this face:


(waking up from a nap with my blanket)

3 comments:

Jeff and Missi, T, Jake, Samuel and Dan said...

I will continue to pray for you all the way home! I am so glad you have been able to enjoy such an eventful, beautiful trip home! What great memories.... Missi

doug&margarethe said...

Glad you took it safe and stopped earlier. Hope you had good sleep! I pick up DD after work Thursday so we will be waiting for you!"Be safe driving!"

Anonymous said...

Kari,

I went to Kearney for the state Cross Country meet two years during high school! Say hi to anybody I know there, K? :^)

Hope you have a great trip the rest of the way. Be sure to let us know if you are ever up around Fargo/Moorhead!