Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to the Homestead

Well... really... I guess we're technically in a metropolitan area, but today's drive made me feel like I was heading to a Homestead! I left my hotel in Kearney and immediately saw all the cornfields around. That's pretty much the scenery I had for 600 miles until I hit the Twin Cities, except I did pass through Lincoln, Omaha, and Des Moines. There were also a few hills and trees thrown in the mix, but mostly cornfields.

It was beautiful!

Sure, some could consider it boring, and I'll admit I had a few of those thoughts today, but I was also reminded at how much I really love the Midwest, and no matter where else I get to live in my life, it will always be home here.

I spent the day talking with a few friends, talking with the Lord, and just listening to Him. I realized near the end of my trip that I hadn't even turned on my iPod or tuned my radio to a nearby station. I guess it was pretty quiet in my car, but I guess that's what I needed!

As I was getting close to leaving Iowa and entering back into MINNESOTA!, I thought about snapping a few pictures of my view. Here's what I saw:

Rolling Hills

And cornfields
Then I got closer and closer to my parents house, and got more and more excited to see this little guy!!! Here he is after Grandpa turned this bucket upside down and Auntie Kari's drummer-side influenced him a bit. I think with a little practice he could become very talented! :)
His dad then let him explore the top of the car.
And finally we played "catch" a while with this football.


He also spent a bit of time running up
and down the driveway. He would just giggle and giggle!!
It was SOOOOO fun to see him again and he seemed to know who I was! Yippee!!! He doesn't really cuddle like when I left him five months ago, but I guess that's true for everyone, not just me. He was pretty much running around all night, except for a few minutes after dinner when he grabbed a book, climbed up on the couch, layed stomach-down and started reading to himself. He just laughed and laughed every few pages, but it was way too precious to interrupt with a flash so it'll just be one of those ingrained memories for me instead.

I miss my family in CA, the beach and ocean, the way most Californians drive (predictable and fast vs. unpredictable and slow), and the great weather (it feels cold here!) but I am SO glad to be home again! Thanks for taking this trip with me! (You'll get to see more pictures of "our" time together later...)

4 comments:

Jim and Marilyn said...

So glad you made it back home! Big hugs to everyone from us. DD looks SOOO grown up already! Now you can finally rest--before the next big trip!

Stacy said...

Hi Kari,
So glad to hear you made it back to the Midwest safely!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

What a trip you had and thankful you are safely home once again. PTL Loves to everyone. Love, Penny

Krista Koljonen said...

I'm glad you made it safely home! So sorry I didn't have time to call and chat again during your cross-country trip in the car, but maybe it will work out next time to do so. Talk to you or read ya later, Kari.