Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Had Forgotten About These Muscles

Yesterday morning I was in the Twin Cities. I left in time so that I would be back in Fergus with plenty of extra time before my work shift started. I turned into my driveway at exactly 1:00pm so I was pretty excited about my hour and a half until I left for work.

Then I saw my driveway.

Now, the space between the alley and the garage is only about 20 feet long but I've learned from experience that it's not always a good idea to just "plow though" all types of snow (for those of you outside the Midwest, yes there are different types of snow!). Because of this discovery, I parked my car by my neighbor's garage. Next I had to stomp though snow that was three feet deep. Well, probably only about 10 inches, but it seemed like a lot more! I finally made it to the garage where I had one of my shovels. Luckily, it was the shovel used for the heaviest kind of snow like was on the ground. Now my task was to shovel a path big enough for my car to get into the garage. About 10 minutes into this I realized the snow was REALLY heavy and I was getting pretty hot with my coat on, since it was a balmy 40 degrees. The coat came off.

I finally got my car into the garage, and then shoveled my way into my house, and walked through the door at 1:50pm. Where had the time gone? I realized I needed to shovel a quick path for the postman to reach the door from the front sidewalk, so I finished up around 2:10 and basically had enough time to unload my car and change for work. Whewww, I was tired!

Nursing ends up being a pretty physical job, with a lot of lifting, pulling, tugging, bending, etc. and by the end of my shift I realized there were a lot of muscles that I had forgotten about!

There are definitely things that I'll miss about being a homeowner, but shoveling is NOT one of them!


This picture is from my back door looking back at my garage. Today I finished cleaning up the rest of the snow that I ran out of time for yesterday.

5 comments:

Candis Berge said...

Ah Kari.... keep that snow shovel ready.... more of that white stuff is on its way!!! What if you have to head to the cities if Julie goes into labor during this next storm?? AGH!!!!!

Henrik and Carrie said...

Henrik doesn't miss it either!!!

John said...

I think shoveling is some great exercise! Looks like we get to do some more next weekend....

CJ Olson said...

Shoveling isn't very fun! Hopefully you guys don't get too much snow!

Emily said...

Hey Kari!
We have been dumped on too! Luckily just last night Joel volunteered the youth group to shovel the sidewalks at the nursing home just yesterday....today we woke up to 8 inches!! (Kinda had to laugh at that one, we only live 1/2 block from the home and Joel was the only one that could make it.) Anywho...I really enjoy this blogging thing! It is so easy, too! Take care, stay warm and God bless!