Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nixon Library


I experienced a "first" on Saturday -I went to a presidential library! Jim and Marilyn live only a few minutes from The Nixon Library so Marilyn and I headed over there for a few hours. It was really interesting!


I have never been to a presidential library before, and knew that while I'm in California I'd like to get to both the Nixon and Reagan libraries that are in the area. Because I'm a patriotic person, I enjoy presidential history, but admittedly haven't studied it very much. I really learned so much from my visit!

Here are some of the campaign slogans/posters.
An area describing his vice-presidency to Eisenhower.
The hall of various leaders from around the world during Nixon's time in office. These statues are life-sized, and we were surprised at how short some of the leaders were! (Charles De Gaulle was the tallest, and look how tall he is compared to Nikita Khrushchev and Leonid Brezhnev from the USSR -standing on the left side of your screen.)
I enjoyed a nice conversation with Winston Churchill, Charles De Gaulle, and some other guy I can't remember...
Nixon was instrumental in opening up the closed doors of China.
An actual section of the Berlin Wall. It was pretty powerful to see this in person.
Nixon's Presidential Limousine

The outdoor courtyard. I love the red, white, and blue flowers!


There is an exact duplicate of the East Room of the White House (where many of the balls or formal events are held) and it can be rented out for private parties. Marilyn and I got to see the finishing touches be put together for a wedding reception, and by the time we left the guests were starting to arrive.
The "wedding favors" for this wedding included a teacup and saucer that looked like they could've been taken right out of the White House collection!
This is the actual gazebo that was used for the White House wedding of Tricia Nixon in 1971. It sits outside in the garden.
There was a beautiful garden outside.
Marilyn and I had a great day together! I'm SO thankful I live close to her and Jim again!
A perfect yellow rose.
I love benches.
Mrs. Nixon's gravestone reads "Even when people can't speak your language, they can tell if you have love in your heart."
President Nixon's gravestone reads: "The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
President Nixon's father built this house in 1912, from a kit! It's never been moved, and had been used for many years by the local school's caretaker. I love the character on the inside, but we weren't allowed to take pictures...
This is the helicopter that gave President Nixon his final ride away from the White House. I guess in the past you could look around inside, but it was closed for us that day.
Trumpet flowers, which can also be found in Africa.
An "artsy" picture to end your tour of the Nixon Library and Birthplace. If you ever have the chance to visit any Presidential Library -you should jump at it! Very interesting and educational!

Thanks for the fun day, Marilyn! I'm really glad we went! (I'm excited to see your posts on the rest of our day -at Fullerton Lake and the park overlooking the city!)

5 comments:

Sara said...

It looks like a fascinating place to visit and tons of history!

Candis Berge said...

Very interesting. Thanks

doug&margarethe said...

Looks like a great tour of the Nixon Library. Thanks for checking it out for us! Looks like a place we would find interesting. Glad you and Marilyn had a great day.

Jim and Marilyn said...

That was a really fun day! Thanks for the companionship--it's so great to have you close by again.

Anonymous said...

Penny, Merrily and I went to the Nixon Library a bunch of years ago now. It was in May when the rose garden was in its first full bloom. We loved evrything about that place. Very educational. Make sure you get to the Reagan Library too. We "girl cousins" went there. All your pictures are great!!
Love, June