Redheads. We're a unique bunch! We stand out in a crowd, and people often do a double take when we pass them on the street.
I was born with basically the same color red that I have now. My mom tells stories of people stopping her as she was pushing me along in the stroller, to comment on my hair. Growing up, I really didn't like being a redhead because it made me different from everyone else. Well, that's exactly the reason why I like it now -it makes me different!
For those of you with red hair, you understand what I mean. For those of you who have a more common hair color, I realized there might be some stuff about redheads you don't know! I was in a conversation at work the other night that reminded me of some "redhead facts" I've learned over the years. Here are some things you might not have known before:
1. Redheads require more sedation for procedures. I first heard this from one of my favorite nurse anesthetists in Fergus (P.G.) who said that if he walks into a room and sees that the patient he's about to put under is a redhead, he automatically knows to add 20% more anesthesia. The thought of waking up in surgery is scary, so I'm glad they know this!
2. We bleed more, due to slightly different clotting factors, which is genetic.
3. Redheads typically experience pain at a higher level, requiring more pain medication while in the hospital.
4. Being a redhead involves more than just hair color. Redheads often have very pale skin--almost see-through albino-like pink/white skin, puffy eyelids, freckles, light eyes ... although, it's possible for redheads to have darker skin and eyes.
5. The pale skin that redheads have also leads their skin being dry. As a nurse who washes her hands countless times a shift, I can attest to the fact that dry/cracked skin means I've tried every type of lotion possible!
6. Redheads don't turn gray, but first sandy-colored then white.
7. The lack of melanin can also lead to light sensitivity -I sure use my sunglasses!
8. Redheads consist of only 2% of population. It's good to be unique!
I keep thinking there are more things I've learned, but can't seem to think of them now. Does anyone else have something they've heard?
There are a few favorite redhead quotes I've seen:
"A face without freckles is like a night without stars."
"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead." ~Lucille Ball
I know these pictures are old, but they're ones I especially like with what it does to show my haircolor!