Saturday, December 29, 2007

Winter Road Trip

As we all know, I love a good road trip! There's something so fun about just hopping in the car and getting to see all the great American landscape that can be seen while getting from one place to the next. Sure, flying is nice because you arrive at your destination quicker, but as the saying goes, "Getting there is half the fun"!

The whole time I was in Puyallup, co-workers especially thought it was crazy that I was going to drive back to MN in December. I think many of them actually thought that once there was snow in the mountains, you were basically stuck between Puget Sound and the Cascades until spring (and that's not a huge area!) Luckily I had family there who knew my driving skills and what Minnesota winters were like and could reassure me that I'd be just fine!

I had continued to watch the weather reports for the passes, and learned that I would be able to leave just between storms if I left on Friday afternoon, which is just what I was planning. What a blessing!

After packing all my stuff Thursday evening (no, I really didn't start until then...) I awoke Friday morning to pack my car. Thanks for those of you who prayed that everything would fit, because miraculously, it did! Friday was a beautiful day and I could be outside packing in dry weather that wasn't too cold, which was another blessing from the trip! One of the many soldiers that lives in that complex (Fort Lewis is a huge Army post nearby) even offered to help when he saw me struggling with the front end of my cartop carrier. I haven't been called "ma'am" too often in my young age :) but when it's done by a soldier in uniform with a southern accent you know it's just because he's respectful and polite! I was able to meet more of my neighbors during those few hours stuffing my car full than I had during my entire three months living there.

After getting all packed up and ready to go, it was time to turn in my keys and say good-bye to the little apartment that's been home these last three months. Then I hit the road!

I'm happy to report that Snoqualmie Pass had a little snow on it, but lots of cars, and was very easily passable. I was heading to Moscow, ID to my aunt and uncle's, so decided to take the short cut through some very nice grasslands/wheatfields that must've looked beautiful in the daylight. In the dark it was just a long, quiet road. It was SO good to arrive at Barb and Gary's!! It was the two of them and their two daughters, Kristen and Heather. We missed Tim, but since he's in Norway, I didn't figure he could come home quick for my visit... maybe next time! We all stayed up too late, chatting a mile a minute to fit in all the talk-time possible, but it was absolutely worth it! I have SO MUCH fun with them, I wish we lived closer together! Heather had to work early the next morning, but here's a picture of Kristen, Barb and me that Gary took.

In the morning, it looked like I might hit some snow in the Idaho passes, but again, I'm happy to report that everything went fine there as well! What I mostly found was like this picture, snow on the sides but a clear road. It wasn't slippery at all. You can see that it was a beautiful drive!

Just after crossing into Montana and coming down off the pass, you hit the town of St. Regis. I learned from June on my way to Washington that there's a great little spot to get a Huckleberry Shake in St. Regis. As I have the all-important philosophy that it's never too cold out for ice cream, I knew I wanted to stop! When I learned that the shake machine was down, I'm sure I looked disappointed because the owner asked where I was from. When I said I was moving from WA to MN, she made me a shake from scratch. Another blessing!! And, it was so big and so filling I saved my money on the next meal as well! A double blessing!

The rest of the Montana passes were clear, and I planned on getting to Billings that evening. Well, when I got near Livingston, MT the wind really picked up, and after talking with my Mom's aunts in Billings and also my parents (and realizing I was getting too tired to make decisions on my own), I decided to just stay there for the night. I ended up at the EconoLodge, which turned out to have great rooms, and a yummy continental breakfast. I also found out that night on the weather channel that the wind gusts in Livingston that night reached 55 mph. No wonder my car was blowing from side to side on the road!

The next morning I awoke bright and early, had that great breakfast, and was on the road before 8am. (WOW, unusual for this night-shift gal!) I settled in for the long drive, since I had 972 miles to go! Right away I knew my decision to stop earlier than planned the night before was the right one, because that morning the wind was gone, the sunrise was beautiful, and the roads were clear.

I was able to drive for quite a few hours with perfect conditions, then sometime between Billings and Miles City there was one stretch with roads that were snow packed and slippery. It only lasted for about 30 miles or so, then were nice and clear again. Thanks, Lord!

This picture is for my dad, who thinks this sign is hilarious. Why would anyone choose to drive on a road that you know is guaranteed to be a Bad Route, right from the start?

I learned from a friend (coughJillcough) how fun it is to take self-portraits while driving, and I promise, this was only done during very boring, straight, completely dry parts of the road. So, while it's not the most flattering picture ever, I thought I'd give you the fun idea for your next road trip!It also shows a little of how full my car was!

After passing the largest cow sculpture ever, I was able to just sit back and enjoy the sunset that was starting to show itself in my side mirrors. Then, somewhere just west of Bismarck, I watched an amazing moon-rise. I don't know if it was just my imagination or not, but the moon seemed SO large that night, really low, and like it was just beyond my reach. It seemed to be hanging right above the fields I was driving by. The picture doesn't quite do it justice.

When it was dark by Jamestown, I thought to myself "well, it's still a long ways to get home, but I think I can make it." Then, just after Jamestown all the way to Fargo the wind picked up again and there was lots of blowing snow across the road. The temperature also really dropped and I realized I just drove right into a Midwest winter! When I was in Fargo I called my friend, Candis, in Fergus and asked if I could stop by with something I had picked up for her in Seattle. She said sure, of course, but why didn't I just stay with them for the night instead? I assured her I was still going to try and make it home, but then as the roads got worse and worse by Fergus and we visited for a while when I stopped in, the offer of a warm bed and great fellowship seemed too good to pass up! Seeing as it was going to be just before midnight that I would've arrived home, I think my parents were a little relived as well! THANK YOU for the wonderful Bed and Breakfast, Candis and Wally! Here we are the next morning in their beautiful river room!

The next morning I took the long way to the freeway, so I could drive through Fergus, then hit the road for the last of my trip. I felt like I could do these last few hours blindfolded, but decided against that...

As I got closer to my parents house, I could hardly contain myself, and ended up almost running inside when I got there! I was so THRILLED to see this face waiting to greet me! What a great smile!

Christmas pictures to come...

1 comment:

Jim and Marilyn said...

I love your travaloge! You make your trips sounds so interesting, even though I'm sure there are lots of hours or boring quiet along the way!