Saturday, December 29, 2007

Back to the Land of the Living...

I'm back! Yes, I've been back in MN for a few days now, and while I had an amazing Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (pictures to follow), I then got hit with the flu. Wednesday morning the 26th I awoke, didn't feel very good, but had to get to the public health nurse to have a TB skin test done for my next assignment. By the time I got back into my car to come home (and it was only a 5-minute appointment), I wasn't actually sure I could make it home, I thought I might just die right there on the side of the road somewhere...

I did, in fact, make it home and was able to crawl up the stairs. I'll skip all the gross details that nurses love to talk about but the rest of blog-world might not enjoy, and just say that the next 36 hours were REALLY miserable. I finally felt okay to eat a piece of toast on Thursday and felt like I was making good progress. I upgraded to a bowl of soup yesterday and have had some more food as well. Both yesterday and today have been pretty good days so far, I just feel really weak.

I haven't been this sick in such a long time, I don't actually remember when it would've been. This has helped me to have a renewed sympathy for my patients who are sick and for those who say they're weak. I think I'll be able to be a better nurse in helping them.

So, not only is it great to be home again, but great to be back to the land of the living!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As soooooooo often happens... When you burn a candle at both ends your body finally says "ENOUGH". Many of us have been through that at one time or another at Christmas!! Glad your back and this didn't happen "on the road"!!
June