Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hidden Seattle

Yesterday was a fun day, exploring trendy areas of Seattle I hadn't visited yet! My friend, Rachel, is living in Bellingham to attend college and help with our LB church there. She's one of my youth group girls from Fergus, and we also met regularly in a mentoring relationship. She came to Seattle for the weekend and we got to hang out on Monday since there wasn't school that day. It was SO fun to see her! I picked her up at SPU where she had stayed with friends, and we looked at my trusty GPS to pick a random cafe to eat brunch. We decided on Louisa's Cafe Bakery on Eastlake Ave. It was a great little cafe with really good croissants! One of the great things there, however, was the free "Hidden Seattle" guide to, well... all the greatest little hidden secrets in Seattle's coolest neighborhoods. More on this in a minute...

Rachel and I met up with a friend that was able to drive her back to Bellingham, and we went to my new favorite park in Seattle, Kerry Park. It has the BEST views of the city! I think all the great postcard shots of the city are taken from this park.
Don't you agree?!

We had a great time goofing off with some fun pictures!






[You can see it was a very windy day, and it turns out people in WA considered it a storm! I guess with all the tall trees that can knock out power lines, I can see why it was talked about a LOT on the news that night, but I have to say, it sure is a different mindset here about storms, vs. what we're used to in the Midwest!]

After they took off for Bellingham, I decided to flip through the Hidden Seattle guide and learn a little. It turned out to be a great resource! It was written by three friends who explore all over Lake Union, Fremont, Queen Anne, Greenlake, Wallingford and Downtown and they have lots of tips on where to feast, sip, shop, play, and walk your dog. I wish I had a dog here...

Since I was in Queen Anne, I drove around and hit some of the fun shops they mentioned. I also checked out Fremont a bit and spent some time in Lake Union.

Once the sun came out, and the wind died down a little, I realized I was close to Kerry Park again, so I thought I'd see the view with the sunset reflection on it. It turns out it wasn't all that different, but I still got some great pictures out of the deal!







My oldest friend, Jill, is coming to visit next week for Thanksgiving (YEAH!) and now I have some great spots picked out for us to see! I'm just over halfway through with my time here in WA, so if anyone else wants to visit, you're running out of time... I can't believe how fast it's been going!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you Western Wash people mak,e a big deal of wind storms. There's always a few people that lose their home or cars to falling trees and a bunch lose their power for awhile, but most of us just get a good blow!! Another place you must go to is "West Seattle". There's a great drive around the north side that's on Alki Beach. And you're on the water and look toward the city. Good "eats" there too. Looks like you did have a great day yesterday. June B.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for showing my G-ma the videos!! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Another place I think is neat to go is Shoreline. There are some nice little quiet beaches. Well some of them have trains go by and then it's not quiet. Oh, also have you ridden a ferry yet? I really enjoy that and I think you can pay once (for walking on) and stay on as long as you want. So you could just hang out on the ferry the whole day. Haha, I think that sounds funny and fun too. :) Oh but if you get off on the opposite side you may have to pay to get back on...I don't remember exactly how it works...anywya I'm sure youcould find out. I'l stop typing now. Bye. :) -Kjirsti

Anonymous said...

Oh, one more thing...I went to an improv comedy show by the U of W once. It was great but if I remember correctly a little crude sometimes. I think we just showed up and stood in line hoping to get in. I don't think we sould get tickets any other way. Ok, I'm done now... :O) Kj

Anonymous said...

Oh it was located by the university not put on by it. ok, really done this time...

Henrik and Carrie said...

So fun to follow your adventures!! Regarding your Lefse post, I too took up the Lefse challenge and went to a class last night with a bunch of girls. Making Lefse isn't for wimps, but we had a great time!

Miss you!

Jim and Marilyn said...

So fun to see your adventures in Seattle! And to see Rachel--how fun was THAT! Enjoy your time with Jill over Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING KARI, Remember when you were down here for TD? I still have some pots left we made candles with. Fun times. Enjoy your escapades and reading your comments. Sara and Jen want to make lefse for TD so Wed.,Jen's 21st BD we'll be making lefse!! Come join us!! Take care and love ya, Penny

Ross & Beth said...

Kari,
I have lived here my whole life and I must say I am jealous of your adventures! You have done so much. Will we see you this way again before you go? Will you be at June's for Thanksgiving? Let me know.