Sunday, May 27, 2007

Baptism

I started this entry back on May 7th, but have struggled with posting it. David was baptized and I wanted to talk about the gift of baptism and what it really means. I've suffered from writer's block, however, not being able to truly express how incredible it was to watch him be welcomed into the family of God. What a powerful gift from God! What an amazing God we serve!

The day itself was wonderful -I don't think it could've gone any better! You can see pictures by going to the link on the right that says "Mom and Dad". My mom posted all the same pictures I would have, so you can just look there.

Pastor Hanson gave me a card that is "from" David -a letter to his baptismal sponsors. It has been SUCH a good reminder of the importance of praying for my godchildren. I have two of them, David, and also Ryan and Jenn's little girl, Annie. I have long been praying for Annie, but reading this card gave new understanding to the word "godmother". I have been reminded more often throughout each day to pray for both of them, and with more specific prayers. I'll share the card with you:

Dear Godmother,

You have taken part in one of the most important events in my life -you were present at my baptism where I was adopted as a child of God. Although I may have been too young to remember that day, you will remember it, and I want you to remind me of it as I grow older.

You were chosen to be my sponsor because you are a trustworthy person. You are concerned enough about my spiritual life to assist my parents in my faith development. I call you "godmother" for you are like a parent to me in that you care about and are responsible for my life with God.

The times in which we live help shape the responsibilities of sponsors. In early Christian times, when life was more uncertain, there was a good chance that parents would not live to see their children reach maturity. Sponsors were an assurance that someone would be alive to see to it that children were nurtured in the Christian faith. God has helped make the life and death situation a little less of a problem today. But that doesn't mean that you are any less important. You are particularly charged to assist with my growth in the Lord, and there are some things that I want you to do for me.

I hope, first of all, that you will always remember to pray for me. I need your prayers every day of my life in order that I might always walk in the path of God's grace. I would like to reach the end of the each day knowing that you had remembered me before God in prayer.

As I grow, I hope that you will take an active part in my Christian education. Will you help teach me God's Word? Will you see to it that I have the opportunity for instruction in the Christian faith, and participate in worship and church school? In addition, I hope that you will make sure I know Him who gives meaning to my baptism. For my baptism without a living faith in Christ is empty and unfulfilled.

Lastly, let me see Christ in you, in order that I might have another example of a Christian life. I know that God will give you the wisdom and strength to carry out this role in my life.

I don't want you to think of me as just one more person to remember with a gift on my birthday or at Christmas. That's not really what sponsorship is all about. I want you to remember me as one who needs your prayers, your love, and your example. Those are the gifts I need most in my life.

Your Godchild
[this was published by the Augsburg Publishing House]

Annie and David, I promise to pray for you faithfully, to tell you about Jesus and His love for you, and I will try to live a life that can be an example to you.

1 comment:

doug&margarethe said...

It was a very meaningful baptism! Your comments were very well stated. God's gift to us in baptism is incredible...what an expression of trust and acceptance through the eyes of a baby!
Thank you. Love and prayers for you and the family, Mom