Thursday, March 8, 2007

At the Hospital

Well, there's been a small change since my last post. Julie went into labor!!!!

When I talked with her yesterday and found out that she wasn't progressed any further, I decided to stay in Fergus and go to youth group, do some laundry, and get packed. Everything took longer than expected (too busy looking at blogs!) so I went to bed fairly late. Then, at 6:45 this morning my phone rang. It was my mom calling to say that Julie and David were on their way to the hospital with strong contractions 3-5 minutes apart. I quickly hopped in the shower, grabbed my bags and hit the road! I'm sure glad I had packed last night, since I was now leaving a few hours earlier than planned.

I got a few updates from the road, and found out that they arrived at the hospital at 7:00, she was dilated to 4cm, and they wanted to keep her. A little later the update was that the MD came in and broke her water. It was all I could do not to speed! I'm thankful for cruise control! I sure knew that I would get here on time, but I didn't want to miss out on ANYTHING!

I arrived at 10:30am and found Julie having really stong contractions one right after the other. I got a quick smile out of her, then she was in her "zone". It's now almost 2:00pm and she's got an epidural in (and IMMEDIATELY felt some pain relief!) and is dilated to 6cm. There'll be a baby today!

I'm so thankful that we don't have to wait anymore! On the way down here, I had tears welling up in my eyes thinking about watching my sister deliver her baby. I thought about watching my dad hold his grandbaby for the first time, and my mom's dream about becoming a grandma finally getting realized. What a huge blessing!

PS-On a side note, following my friend Shannon's lead, I'd love to give a quick "shout out" to all my ghost readers and invite you to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you!! It's pretty easy to leave a comment, just choose "annonymous" then type your name at the end of the comment. It would be great to tell Julie about the people thinking about and praying for her today!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I literally just checked your blog 30 minutes ago and this post wasn't made yet, but saw some news on Steven and Shannon's and had to come back! YEAH!! We'll keep praying for Julie through the rest of her labor and delivery! We can't wait to see pictures of this bundle!

Candis Berge said...

Oh Kari! I just read your post checking on Shannon's blog - and now I will have to keep popping back and forth from yours to hers! Isn't it amazing that Julie and Shannon are both in labor today? You must be totally over-the-moon today, Aunt Kari. I can't wait to see pictures!!

Jim and Marilyn said...

I'm so happy and escited for all of you! I just talked to Margarethe and got the latest news. I'm so glad that you can be there, Kari as I know that this is typically your day to work! We are waiting...........

Andrea said...

Hi Kari! I'll be checking back to your blog throughout the evening. Tell your sis we'll be praying for her. So exciting...and a little scary to realize that I'll have to do this before I know it!

Anonymous said...

Kari, this is so exciting. I have to tell you that I got tears in my eyes reading your post. This has got to be soooo exciting for you!Please, tell Julie I am praying for her, David and the little one. Your neice or nephew. Can you believe it. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Kari

Alison said...

Kari, I am anxiously awaiting news! This is the best day!
Congratulations Auntie! You are going to be the best Auntie any kid could ask for!
Love you, Alison