Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mr. Arlton

For those of you that don't know him, I thought I'd help introduce you to Mr. Arlton. He was a teacher at Hillcrest when I was a student there, however since he taught Physics, I never had him as a teacher myself! Even after he retired, he could often be seen around campus, or at the Seminary Library reading or writing, or riding his bicycle around town. Most recently I've seen him singing in the Bethel Choir, or taking students to various plays or concerts in town in order to help them appreciate "the arts". He's extremely brilliant, and a little eccentric. He's somebody that's not easily forgotten!

We heard in church this morning that he's at Merit Care hospital in Fargo, in very serious condition. I thought I would send out this world-wide prayer request for healing for Mr. Arlton and wisdom for his doctors and nurses. I understand his two sons are at his side, and I guess that's really all I know about the situation. He's 82 years old. Thanks for praying for him!

2/8/2007 -The update, unfortunately, is that Mr. Arlton passed away on Tuesday, February 6th in the evening. There was a short announcement in yesterday's paper, but in today's paper there was no further information listed about a funeral. I assume the funeral will be at Bethel, but I'll have you let you know more later about the specifics. I understand his sons were overwhelmed with the way his church family has cared for him, and they have been very thankful for that.

2/9/2007 -Today's Daily Journal said: "The funeral is 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17, at Bethel Lutheran Church, with the Rev. Ed Monson officiating. Visitation will be Friday, Feb. 16, from 4 to 7 p.m. with a prayer service at 7 p.m. at Glende-Nilson Funeral Home and one hour prior to the service at the church."

9 comments:

CJ Olson said...

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the update! That's so sad! I can't believe that he's in the hospital!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update Kari. We will certainly Pray for Stan Arlton. He is a wonderful man and even still, at 82, he checks our updates and writes emails to us in Japan.

The Erickson Family said...

Thank you for posting about this. I remember him. What an interesting man! Please keep us posted...

Henrik and Carrie said...

Keep us posted on his condition as you hear news! We will pray!

Kari, RN said...

Thanks for your prayers, everyone. I heard at quilting this morning that he's really not doing very well. His respirations have gotten very slow and he hasn't stirred out of the coma at all. Pastor Monson was called up to the hospital at 2:30 this morning to be with him. I understand that the way his church family has supported him has really impacted his sons, so let's continue to pray that they might come to know Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. He was my physics and chemistry teacher 50 years ago. I recently reconnected with him at Christmas. He wrote and seemed fine and very connected to the world.. What did he die from, if you know?

Kari, RN said...

Dear anonymous,
Mr. Arlton most likely had a stroke at his home on a Monday or Tuesday, and I believe it was Friday that he was found. He was in a coma by that time, was brought to the hospital and never woke up from his coma. He became so dehydrated during the time before he was discovered that most of his organs shut down, and he just wasn't able to recover. He had appeared to be in good health to people that saw him even a few days before his apparent stroke.

You can go to www.fergusfallsjournal.com and type his name in the 'search' in order to read his obituary. The funeral was a real tribute to him and was attended by many people from Hillcrest, his local church, the local community, and his sons, ex-wife, brother, and other family members.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the information. Mr. Arlton was an inspiration to me in high school and set examples for us all. Never an unkind word, always encouraging, always supportive. I'm glad I finally reconnected with him. Thanks again.
Mike

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!