Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce and Palm Trees

This was a great weekend! On Saturday, I took off bright and early to head to M&B's house to hang out for a bit. We were joined by Jim and Marilyn, Krista and Jayden (Jamie had to work) and my good friend, Jeremy, that I've been friends with since we were 16. It was great to see him again, and hang out with everyone! We enjoyed a great morning of visiting before M had to go to work, and had a wonderful BBQ meal with all the fixings. I realized I didn't take any pictures except for this one of M with Jayden, and I'm afraid it's a little blurry. Oops!


After a relaxing morning/afternoon of hanging out, eating, and visiting I took off for home again. I decided to take the long way home via a mall in Costa Mesa that has a Sony store where I wanted to look at a specific camera I've been researching. I was able to learn a little more and decided it's probably what I want and now will start saving a little more diligently for it. I also took this route home since I wanted to drive along the Pacific Coast Highway a little. I live 1/4 mile from it in Long Beach and have been wondering how far it is from my place to Newport or Huntington Beaches (my favorite in CA). I was happy to find it's only 10-15 miles away (depending which beach) and really didn't take too long! I also timed it so I'd drive along at sunset!


I didn't find any free parking to stop and take a picture, so sorry that most of these were while I was stopped at a red light and there's other stuff in the way. But, you can see it was a beautiful drive! I can't believe I get to live here for a few months!!



Then on Sunday morning I went to Pasadena, to attend our LB church there with Chuck and Penny. I was in for a fun treat! Jean-Baptiste is someone who attended our seminary in Fergus a while back. He's from Cameroon and it was fun to get to know him while I lived there. Well, he's been getting a degree in Pasadena these last couple of years and has been attending Immanuel. He graduated on Saturday and is heading back to Africa shortly to reunite with his family. There was a reception for him at church on Sunday, and it was fun to be there for it!

I stayed overnight at Chuck and Penny's, and had a wonderful time! We visited, ate, and looked at a few things online. Penny and I watched a movie late last night and then slept in this morning. After a relaxing morning, we filled the house with the wonderful smell of strawberries and rhubarb simmering on the stove! We (mostly Penny with me learning a few things!) made jam and also sauce. I'm really looking forward to getting some vanilla ice cream to put under my sauce!

Our finished product! Yummy!


I LOVE PENNY!! Some of my earliest memories include Penny, going up to Fergus to her BIG house with ALL HER GIRLS (she was head dean at Hillcrest). I loved being the little girl running around the dorm when I'd get to stay with her for a weekend! She made me feel so special! Then there were the times I was in grade school and she'd come to our house to visit and she'd braid my hair very gently, without pulling at all. I've heard great stories about me being the flower girl when she married Chuck. We also got to visit her a lot in CA when I was younger, and I loved coming over from AZ when I lived there for a couple of years. The memories really could go on and on and on! Penny has a way of making anyone feel cared for and loved, I feel so at home when I'm with her, and she's one of my favorite people in the whole world! I love you, Penny!


She and Chuck have a wonderful house in Altadena that is just the type of house I love. Lots of character, great wood floors, wonderful arches, and amazing windows! They also have a purple tree in their front yard that I thought you'd want to see!
As the lacy leaves fall off, it makes for a purple-green lawn. I think it's kind-of pretty!

Right out her kitchen window is a view of a perfect palm tree. Being that I've now lived in both Arizona and California, I've gotten to see lots of palm trees. But, I have to say that I think this is the most perfect palm tree I've ever seen! I had to experiment with different camera settings, and decided to just show them all to you!




I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful family. Thanks for all the fun and relaxing times together this weekend!

4 comments:

doug&margarethe said...

What a fun weekend with some great people!! Palm trees bring back memories of Yagoua, Pouss, and California. Yes, Penny is great to be with..she keeps me happy!! Right? and a great friend. Thanks Penny.! Kari, when you were that little girl, Penny could get you to do most anything..!!!
Love, Mom

Leingang Family said...

Family is one of the greatest blessings the Lord gives us.

I love strawberry rhubarb anything! I would love to have some of that sauce right now.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, strawberry rhubard things are so YUMMY!!! What great pictures! I can't wait to see you next week, Kari!
much love, kristen

Brandon & Emily said...

That strawberry sauce looks sooo goood you and Penny did a good job! Glad that you are having fun and being able to catch up with friends and family, it looks like you are having a great summer so far :) Emily