Monday, January 12, 2009

Hello from Appleton!

Yes, that's right, I moved last weekend and I'm now a Wisconsinite! Don't worry, though, I don't think I'm ready to become a Cheesehead just yet...

I actually have quite a few posts in my head of all sorts of stuff I'd like to tell you about, but I'm really writing today to let you know that I FOUND MY WEDDING DRESS!! I went shopping this past weekend, and was able to purchase a dress!

I'm so excited about it, because it's a completely stunning dress, but also because I was surprised by the whole experience! I had gone in with the mindset that I'd just discover what sort of style I like so that I could continue looking in all the magazines. I had always hoped that I might someday find a dress that looked mostly okay on me. Then, after I've lost all this weight, I knew that I could probably find something that looked nice. Well, the interesting thing about the entire shopping experience is that I didn't have the problem of not finding enough options for me, but instead found that there were quite a few things that I really liked!

So, I went to a few shops in the Twin Cities over the weekend with my mom and my best friend, Aimee. I had planned that they would help me determine the best neckline, waist, skirt, etc for me and then after I found the dress that combined all three, I'd go shopping again with the rest of the girls. Well, we found lots of good options, narrowed it down to the best style for me, and then I found it! In person!! I went back to one store feeling like I really liked a particular dress and wanted to try it on again. I walked in the door and was reminded about a different dress I had wanted to see, but didn't take time for earlier. Well, I stepped into it and knew it was the one! I tried on the original one again and thought "This would be okay. Good, in fact. But, not the dream."

The one I got is The Dream! I didn't go into the weekend knowing what the dream was, but I realized what it was when I had the thought "this is how I always hoped I'd feel on my wedding day but didn't know could be possible!" I felt exactly how I'd wanted to feel walking down the aisle to Brent to become his wife.

So, that's all you get to know for now! There's a certain groom who looks at my blog and I'd like to keep the surprise for him. And for you!

By the way, what do you all think of the groom either knowing or not knowing what the dress looks like before he sees the bride in it? Just curious! Share away!

---------
In other news, I love my new apartment and once I get a little more settled I'll take some pictures. It's a different experience for me because I didn't have any furniture provided for me this time around, and I was able to bring lots more stuff than I had for the last year and a half. There are actually boxes to unpack! So, I'll keep working on that and let you know how it's going.

Lastly, I had a couple of interviews last week, that covered all three hospitals here in the Appleton area. I am supposed to find out some news in the next few days so please pray with me that just the right situation works out. I'd love to be in a job that I enjoy, with a schedule that's conducive to a marriage. That's not too much to ask, right? :)

I better get to unpacking a little more. Pictures of our Christmases, my apartment, etc. to come later. Thanks for your patience! Signing off....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Kari! Will enjoy looking at all your pics when they come on. How fun that you found your dress so quickly!! And no, don't let the groom see your dress until the wedding day!! Something has got to be a surprise for the day!! We'll keep praying for your employment situation!!
Love, June

Brooke said...

How exciting that you found, "THE DRESS!" I wouldn't show him it either, but if you were to explain it, from past experiences, he probably wouldn't be able to get a picture in his head. Box pleats, bead work, A-line, etc. Maybe Brent gets it, but most I know don't.

Praying that the right job is waiting for you.

Candis Berge said...

I'm all for keeping the dress a surprise for the groom. What a gift for him - the moment he sees you in your wedding dress!

Susan said...

Welcome back to Wisconsin! How exciting to hear you found your dress! I remember I was amazed when I found my "dream" dress also, how fun! I belive in not letting the groom see the dress, what a wonderful surprise for him on that special day. I'll keep praying for wonderful results from your interviews, I'm sure the right job is waiting for you. Can't wait to hear more details of your new job and location, and of course any wedding details you are willing to share. Take care

Ekelund Fam said...

you know, it is all up to you whether or not he can see it.

for me, it was THE most important picture I asked from the photographer. i wanted a picture of adam's face the moment he saw me and my dad walk into the chapel. i still have it and it is my favorite picture (well, 2nd fav. i love the kissing pic the most.) we didn't get pictures before the ceremony. although i know many people do nowadays to save time. i didn't care if my guests were hungry. haha! am i rude or what?

so while most people are standing and straining to get the first picture of the bride entering the room at the back, I am turned facing the groom with my camera to get his face. :) love you! soooo excited to see "The Dream!"

Anonymous said...

HOORAY.. your dream dress! Oh I am so excited to see it:) Thanks for the update. I think of you often:)

Leingang Family said...

I am glad you are settled in in WI. I know that God has just the job that He wants for you. I will pray that you find it SOON!

As for the dress, remember that it's YOUR day and you should do whatever YOU want to do.

But I'm going to give you my opinion anyway, because you asked. LOL

I think one of the most wonderful (there were many) parts of the day we got married was when I came down the aisle. None of the guys had seen me in my dress until that moment. Not only did Chris cry, but so did most of the groomsmen. It was a pretty cool moment. I think it made the extra time it took to take the "couple pictures" before the reception worth it.

I can't wait to see it! I am sure that it is beautiful and that you look stunning in it!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing more priceless than the look on the groom's face when he sees you in your dress for the first time. Don't you dare let him see it until July 11th! :)

Krista Koljonen said...

Yay! A posting from Kari. So very exciting that you found THE Dress. Big step in the wedding planning process...

Looking forward to pics of your new place and news of a job. Will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, finally a new post. I have been on bated breath waiting for some news!! Am thrilled you have found the dress. That is such fun and am glad your mom was able to be there for you too. Praying for you. I get to go to Kylie's shower Krista is having on Sunday for her. Someone changed nights with me so I can go. Love, Penny

Andrea said...

I agree with the majority - keep him in the dark about your dream dress. It will be so special when he finally sees you in it. We did pics before the wedding but BEFORE that, Adam and I had a few minutes to ourselves when he got to see me in a side room. I know others who've done something similar but in the sanctuary - which sounds really cool too!

Brandon & Emily said...

I think there should be no seeing/knowing about the dress other than its perfectly the one for you.. kinda a traditionalist.

So glad you are so happy..

Jim and Marilyn said...

Yeah for "dress finding"!!! Can't wait to see you in that perfect attire! We are also traditionalists that think the dress surprise has to wait til the wedding day.
We hope that you have found the best job also. Happy settling into life in Packerland- remember to keep your strong allegiances.