Saturday, March 13, 2010

Where I've Been...

Many of you have asked, either here on my blog, on Facebook, or on the phone, where I've been. I haven't always known what to say, or how to answer the question, but I think I'm finally ready to write about it. In fact, I first started this post back in January, but things were changing daily for a while that I could never hit "publish post". Our situation keeps changing, but I decided to just fill you in so I can move forward with blogging, and then I can keep letting you know little bits and pieces here and there.

So where have I been? I'm finding myself on the back side of a severe depression. It's hard to write that, because I've never been here before, but I would say that the week after New Year's is when I finally hit bottom, realized what was going on, and have been working hard to come back up out of the pit of despair.

I won't share all the details, but the quick version is that we've had some of the "normal" first-year-of-marriage difficulties, we've had some that are probably more likely when the bride is older and set in her ways, we've had two lay-offs for Brent in a matter of months, and we've been completely committed to moving, then completely committed to staying here (and both of those decisions have happened a number of times, with action steps taken, then taken back again). There are a hundred pieces of information I could share with you about each of those areas, plus more, but will spare you all the details.

All of this has happened with me having a terrible work schedule. I'm working nights, which is a shift I enjoy, and have been able to handle physically in the past, but right now I'm working random shifts and my body doesn't know what to do. It's literally killing me. I have a heart issue that's gotten much worse, other things are pretty messed up, and I'm beyond exhausted all the time. Sometimes I feel fortunate to sleep for 6 hours or so, but most of the time, I'm taking 1-2 hour naps, or sleeping just 3-4 hours total, spread all throughout a 24 hour day. I've tried a wide variety of things to help this be better, but nothing has seemed to work right. It hasn't been easy, and has led to many of our conversations ending with "I think I'm just too tired to think straight or complete my sentences right now" or has led to me falling asleep at the drop of a hat, at sometimes inopportune times. The bottom line is, this has been an overriding hardship for us.

Finally, the other part to all of this is how I've been feeling about it all. There's the guilt involved with wanting to be the best wife possible and feeling guilty when I feel like I've failed. There's the sadness that all of this has happened during our first year of marriage when I (mistakenly) thought we'd be living in complete bliss. There's the loneliness of missing family and friends and getting my hopes up that we'll be moving back and then trying to be okay with staying.

The good things are: we serve a faithful God, who draws me back to Himself time and time again, and Brent is a rock, who has been very supportive through all my ups and downs. There's the desire to keep it all in perspective when I think of friends or family going through some really hard things. I am not facing cancer treatments, or caring for a child in NICU, or grieving a lost parent or a lost child. I have an amazing husband, a wonderful family, an incredible circle of friends that lift me up in prayer. I know those things are true. Part of the issue is that we've really had more than our fair share of struggles, and part of it is that Satan has dug in to where I seem to be most vulnerable.

So, I haven't been myself lately, and I want to ask your forgiveness for that. If you have called or written and I haven't called or written back, it's not that I haven't wanted to, it's that for the longest time I really just wasn't physically able to. Once that was over, it became my thought that I didn't want to burden anyone with all of this. After all... no one wants to talk to the sad girl. Now that seems to be over and it's just that I haven't caught back up again yet. Please know that I DO want to talk and I DO want to stay connected! In fact, I crave that!!!

I also need to put out a public apology for not having sent out our wedding thank you notes yet. I have no real excuse, except for all of what I just talked about. I'm working on them, and am fully embarrassed that they're not mailed yet. There was the original delay in getting our pictures back, and we used one for a photo card, but now it's just that I want to completely show our appreciation for the generosity people showed to us and I've let that overwhelm me. I promise, though, they will be sent out!

So there you have it... where I've been. Right here in Wisconsin, which is where we'll be calling home. By the way, in case you haven't heard, Brent did get called back to work and while we weren't certain how stable his job would end up being, it seems to be okay for now and we're thankful for that. Now we're working on taking some steps to have my job situation be a little more manageable.

If you've made it this far into my long post, I'd sure appreciate your prayers as I continue to heal. Each day seems to be a little better and I'm grateful for that.

19 comments:

KB said...

Hugs to you dear Kari. Thanks for sharing what is on your heart and I'll be praying. :)

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing with us. We'll remember to pray for you and continued healing. Sending hugs your way!

Kristin said...

You're a way better woman than I am - I couldn't have admitted this to my closest friends, but thank you for opening your heart, being transparent and sharing with us so we know how we can be praying for you and give God praise that He has lead you through this and pulled you closer to Him through it. Love you, Kari!

Kelcie said...

Kari girl, you are in my prayers. Our God is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than we could ever ask our imagine. Love you!

Ekelund Fam said...

Love you Kari. Glad ur back. Continuing to pray for you!

Tim and Jenny said...

Your honesty is inspiring. Thank you for sharing with all of your friends and "stalkers." Tim and I will be praying for you and Brent. :)

CJ Olson said...

I have been thinking and praying for you often! Thank you for such an honest and beautiful post! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Praying from this side of the States. The Lord knows what we can all take. He's always teaching us things, even though we may not understand for a long time.
Lovingly, June

Danny and Mandy said...

We are praying for you.

Lisa said...

Love you and am praying for you! Call anytime--my number is the same. We had a similar first year of marriage in some respects, but I didn't share like you did and wish I would have. Friends and family are there to help and lift you up! We love you!!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

Kari, Just wanted you to know that I am praying and thinking of you and Brent often. Hang in there, it will get better. I still am a good listener, my phone or email is always available. Thanks for sharing.
Susan

Susan said...

Kari, Just wanted you to know that I am praying and thinking of you and Brent often. Hang in there, it will get better. I still am a good listener, my phone or email is always available. Thanks for sharing.
Susan

doug&margarethe said...

Still praying for you both each day--many times. Today Margie G prayed especially for you while we were on the phone. You are loved so much by your family, we care, and know God desires you too because He cares and loves you more than any of us can..He died for you. May you be restored to have His JOY and peace.
Jesus never fails.
Many hugs from your MOM

Candis Berge said...

Kari, just think of all the changes you made in your life this past year. No wonder you have had some emotional battles. But you have the support of a loving husband, the support of your amazing family and also of your friends - and you are safely in the hands of a loving God. And we pray that each day is a bit brighter then the previous! We love you lots!

Les and LeAnn said...

A big hug to you Kari! Psalm 46:1 is a verse you know by heart I'm sure. I will definitely be praying for you. Love you!

Krista Koljonen said...

thanks for sharing, kari. also, thank you for asking us to pray. i would love to pray for you. hugs, cousin.

Andrea Knick said...

Just read through your post, and wanted you to know that I will be praying for you! I really appreciated your honesty! I think we all need to be more honest, in order to get support, when things feel overwhelming! Life just isn't the easiest sometimes, and sometimes we feel like we have to put on a good face, but that just makes life harder, because we are not being real! It is so amazing that no matter where we are, or how we are feeling, God is always there, ready to pull us through!

Anonymous said...

Aww...

I'm sending you prayers, hugs, and all my love from here in wet and gloomy Cedar Rapids, IA. I can't wait until it's time to see you guys again! By the way, how did those muffins turn out?

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

All my love,

Micaela